Round, Stuffed Zucchini with Brown Rice, Ground Beef, Red Pepper.
You can have Round, Stuffed Zucchini with Brown Rice, Ground Beef, Red Pepper using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Round, Stuffed Zucchini with Brown Rice, Ground Beef, Red Pepper
- You need 4 of large round zucchini (I used more)(or use 4-6 regular long zucchini.
- You need 1/2 of onion, chopped (I used a whole 1).
- Prepare 1 of red bell pepper, chopped (I used 1 n 3\4ths of another).
- It’s 2 tsp. of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 lb. of very lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)(I used almost a pound in 7%fat one and 1 lb of 20%).
- It’s 1 tsp. of Spike Seasoning (or use another all-purpose seasoning blend)(I had none so I used paprika, parsley, onion powder, lemon pepper, and ground ginger).
- Prepare 1 tsp. of chopped garlic or garlic puree (from a jar)(I used jarred minced garlic).
- Prepare 1 tsp. of ground fennel seed (I skipped this).
- It’s 1 cup of cooked brown rice(I cooked 2 cups and used 1 and a half cup for stuffing) the rest on plate (I also used instant white rice) my stove top in my rental won't cook rice right unfortunately ).
- It’s 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh basil (I grow this. so use fresh, it's amazing).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of coarsely grated Parmesan cheese, divided.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chicken stock(I used half a cup due to adding 2 more round zucchini to stuff).
Round, Stuffed Zucchini with Brown Rice, Ground Beef, Red Pepper step by step
- Notes: Cut the stem end off each zucchini, use a melon baller (or sharp spoon) to scoop out most of the flesh and seeds of the zucchini, and microwave zucchini on high for 3-4 minutes on high. (Cook zucchini in the oven for about 15 minutes before you stuff them if you don't have a microwave.).
- Notes: cook rice in advanced, cut the stems off zucchini, and brown your meat beforehand. :).
- Instructions: Preheat oven to 375 F. For 8-ball zucchini, cut stem end off each zucchini to create a flat surface that's just slightly smaller than the largest width of the zucchini; then using a pointed teaspoon or melon baller, scoop out and discard most of the zucchini flesh and seeds, leaving an even 1/2 inch of flesh attached to the skin. For long zucchini, barely trim both ends of the zucchini; then cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh and seeds to leave a shallow boat shape..
- Microwave 3-4 minutes on high. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in heavy non-stick frying pan and saute chopped onions and peppers about 3 minutes; stir in Spike Seasoning, garlic, and ground fennel, and cook 1-2 minutes more. (Vegetables will cook more in the oven, so they don't need to be fully cooked at this point.) Remove onions and peppers to large mixing bowl, then add 1 teaspoon more oil and ground beef to hot pan and cook until it's nicely browned, breaking apart with the turner as it cooks. Remove cooked ground beef to mixing bowl. Add cooked brown rice, chopped basil, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and chicken stock to meat and vegetable mixture, and gently combine..
- Choose a roasting pan with sides, just big enough to hold the zucchini. Spray pan with nonstick spray or a light misting of olive oil. Stuff zucchini with stuffing mixture, packing in as much as you can into each zucchini, and mounding it up as high as you can, until all stuffing is used..
- Put zucchini into roasting pan, putting them close together so they hold each other up. Roast uncovered 15 minutes, then sprinkle each with a bit of the reserved Parmesan and cook 10-15 minutes more, until zucchini is tender-crisp, and filling is hot and slightly browned. Serve hot. This will keep well for a few days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the microwave..
- Variations: Use turkey Italian Sausage instead of ground beef. Use thin tomato sauce instead of the chicken stock. Use sage or parsley instead of the basil. (I might use a bit less.) Add some chopped olives to the stuffing. Use sauteed mushrooms instead of or in addition to the red pepper. Use feta cheese instead of the Parmesan..
- I found this recipe on KalynsKitchen.com :). Amazing recipe. U have to try this..
- My beautiful creation after cooking this recipe. Cut this in half to eat. The zucchini is edible and tastes great..