Homemade Sloppy Joes. Recipe by: Chef John "Despite the name of this iconic retro dish, the secret to a great sloppy joe is a thick, rich, almost dry consistency, which allows the sandwich to be eaten with your hands. There aren't many dinners that you can get on the table faster than whipping up a Sloppy Joes. "This is the recipe my mother used for sloppy joes and it always gets compliments!" Featured in Allrecipes Magazine — Subscribe! I Made It Rate it Print Pin Share.
Packed with seasonings and big flavors, then simmered to tender perfection, these homemade Sloppy Joes are the real deal. Cook ground beef bulgogi-style in brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic and serve over sesame buns with quick-pickled cucumber and red onion for a Korean twist on Sloppy Joes. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. You can cook Homemade Sloppy Joes using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Homemade Sloppy Joes
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1 (15 oz) of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 3 tbs of brown sugar.
- You need 2 tbs of ketchup.
- It’s 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 1 tsp of yellow mustard.
- You need 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of onion powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 2 dashes of worcestershire sauce.
Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and cover with bun. These sandwiches have been the go-to meal for my son's basketball team. Turkey is a wonderful change from ground beef and really absorbs all the flavors. Start by browning the ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Homemade Sloppy Joes instructions
- In a skillet over medium heat crumble and brown ground beef until cooked through, seasoning with salt and pepper if desired. Drain in colander. Set aside..
- Return skillet to heat. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Bring sauce to a simmer for 5 minutes..
- Return meat to skillet. Stir to coat. Continue to simmer uncover 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally..
- Spoon sloppy joes onto hamburger buns, top with any desired condiments and enjoy!.
Add in the green peppers and onions. These homemade sloppy joes are simple, comforting, and they go well with a big bunch of kettle cooked potato chips for added crunch. To really ramp up your sloppy joe game, check out these unique sloppy joe recipes or any of these quick sloppy joe recipes. Homemade Sloppy Joes are the ultimate comfort food. Homemade sloppy joes are so delicious and our family loves this recipe.