Homemade Sloppy Joes. Step away from the canned sauce and give these homemade sloppy joes a try! The Best Sloppy Joes are homemade and delicious enough for adults and kids alike! The whole family will love this delicious easy dinner.
No one can deny the enticing lure of sloppy joes. Messy and saucy, we crave them on the regular. A homemade Sloppy Joe recipe that's true to its name – sloppy moreish deliciousness! You can cook Homemade Sloppy Joes using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper, finely diced.
- You need 1/2 of and onion, finely diced.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 of heaping tablespoons tomato paste.
- You need of Sauce ingredients.
- You need 2/3 cup of ketchup.
- You need 1/3 cup of water, with 1 tablespoon flour whisked in.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (I usually add a little more).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of chili powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or more for extra kick).
- Prepare Dash of hot sauce.
These Sloppy Joes are savoury and sweet with a touch of tang. Terrific freezer friendly meal option and to. These sloppy joes are full of flavor from fresh onions, garlic, bell pepper, celery, and lots of spices. The homemade sauce is slightly sweetened with brown sugar with a bold flavor from all the savory spices.
Homemade Sloppy Joes instructions
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add beef and brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Drain..
- Add onion and bell pepper to same skillet and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Add beef back to the skillet and add tomato paste. Stir well..
- Stir together sauce ingredients and add to the skillet..
- Cook over MED heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns. (Do not skip toasting the buns or you'll have a super sloppy joe that's impossible to eat).
Homemade sloppy joes are made with ground beef, onion and green bell peppers that are simmered in a brown sugar and ketchup gravy until thickened and served on a bun. Sloppy joes are meaty sandwiches that your whole family will love. These hearty sandwiches are the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner. These homemade sloppy joes are simple, comforting, and they go well with a big bunch of kettle cooked potato chips for Sloppy Joes. Don't forget to serve with a side of kettle cooked potato chips.